Posted: 26th May 2023
Location: Head Office, Preventx Ltd, MBP5, Meadowhall Business Park, Carbrook Hall Road, Sheffield S9 2EQ
Employment Type: Head Office, Preventx Ltd, MBP5, Meadowhall Business Park, Carbrook Hall Road, Sheffield S9 2EQ
Closing date for Applications:
|Responsible to:||Laboratory Manager|
|Key Relationships:||Laboratory, Procurement and Finance Teams|
|Purpose of Role:||The postholder will be responsible for ensuring the smooth running of the labs on a given shift. You will need to have a people management background with proven experience of managing teams in a target-orientated environment, ideally gained in a laboratory context.|
|Location:||Head Office, Preventx Ltd, MBP5, Meadowhall Business Park, Carbrook Hall Road, Sheffield S9 2EQ|
- Supervision of day-to-day activities in the laboratory.
- Liaise with procurement and finance teams to optimise inventory levels.
- Evaluation of potential laboratory staff, to include interviewing, selection, induction, appraisals.
- Contributing to and writing reports for the annual management review meetings.
- Monitoring of performance in order to meet and exceed sample TATs and laboratory KPIs.
- Raising concerns in a timely manner to facilitate CAPA – in particular those relating to safety, KPIs and performance.
- Maintaining high productivity and motivation of all laboratory staff.
- Performing daily team briefings.
- Setting daily team targets and reporting to laboratory manager on progress/performance.
- Acting as first point of call to Laboratory Technicians and Senior Laboratory Technicians.
- Management of team HR, such as holiday, sickness, training etc.
- Dealing with problematic samples and kits.
- Ensure EQA and IQA is upheld.
- Ensuring constant compliance with Quality Systems and ISO 15189 accreditation.
- Conduct training and competency assessments for Laboratory Technicians and Senior Laboratory Technicians and ensure training records are maintained.
- Training and performing competency assessment for Senior Laboratory Technicians in high-throughput serological and molecular analysers.
- Scheduling and implementing operational rotas.
- Use of high-throughput serological and molecular analysers.
- Ensuring the laboratory has sufficient staffing and resources, gaining approval for recruitment, overtime and/or flexible employees.
- Adhere to procedures, policies and health/safety guidelines and promote a safety conscious culture.
- Ensure that processes needed for the laboratory system are established, implemented, and maintained.
- Report to laboratory management, at the level at which decisions are made on laboratory policy, objectives, and resources, on the performance of the quality system and any need for improvement.
- Ensure the promotion of awareness of users’ needs and requirements throughout the laboratory.
- Promote quality policy commitments and objectives.
- Liaise with the laboratory manager to coordinate and schedule CPD opportunities for laboratory technicians and senior laboratory Technicians.
- Ensuring CPD requirements are met and remain effective.
- Driving continuous improvements of laboratory operations.
- Act as a pro-active interface between the laboratory and other departments.
The preferred candidate will have the following experience, abilities, and aptitudes:
- Have experience in contributing to laboratory processes.
- Experience of managing a team.
- Confident communicator.
- Confident, skilled user of Microsoft Office and Excel.
- A comprehensive understanding of ISO 15189.
- Well organised, good attention to detail.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- The ability to work independently, being self-motivated, managing conflicting priorities and using initiative.
- Ability to demonstrate multi-tasking and management of conflicting priorities.
This job description is not exhaustive and serves only to highlight the main requirements of the post holder. The line manager may stipulate other reasonable requirements. The job description will be reviewed regularly and may be subject to change.